The Vincent Smith School is a co-ed, independent, special education school for grades 1-12, serving Nassau, Suffolk, and New York City students since 1924. We specialize in students with various learning issues such as anxiety, AD/HD, Dyslexia, Auditory & Language Processing Disorders, or school avoidance.
As a New York State Board of Regents chartered school, we emphasize academic excellence while simultaneously supporting individualized differentiated instruction, college or vocational prep, and social-emotional learning, along with speech, reading, and occupational therapies. We are accredited by the NY State Association of Independent Schools. Vincent Smith School is a non-profit organization open to all, without regard to race, creed, or national origin.
The Vincent Smith School is dedicated to providing a successful and personalized academic education in a nurturing and supportive setting, for students with various learning disabilities.
At the Vincent Smith School we are committed to the beliefs that:
- "It's Okay to Learn Differently"
- Students with learning disabilities are provided the necessary educational, emotional and social support to reach their highest professional and personal potential and productivity.
Each day at Vincent Smith School we emphasize academic excellence combined with personal and social development. Technology, integrative activities, art and music, and interdisciplinary instruction enhance academics. Curriculum development is an ongoing process geared to each students’ unique learning styles and needs. We provide on-site, specialized speech therapy, reading help, counseling, and occupational therapy.
We teach differently because every child learns differently.
Vincent Smith School is a community of learners. Students learn how to learn. Our highly-trained and caring faculty and families are actively engaged in our integrated programs and multi-modal curriculum. Our graduates leave Vincent Smith School with the knowledge and tools necessary to confidently meet the challenges of post-secondary transition and beyond.
Students are taught in small classes (average 5:1 student-teacher ratio) where teachers are able to truly differentiate instruction.
At Vincent Smith we provide:
- Strong Home/School Connection
- College & Career Counseling
- Social-Emotional Learning
- Small, Supportive Classes
- On-site speech, reading, counseling, and occupational therapy
- More than 85% of our graduates go on to college
- Over 94 years of educational excellence and experience
The Vincent Smith School is chartered by the New York State Board of Regents as an independent, non-profit institution and a member of the New York State Association of Independent Schools. The Vincent Smith School is open to all without regard to race, creed, or national origin.
- An individualized, supportive and structured grade 1-12 education for students with learning disorders.
- Academic excellence combined with personal development. Students learn essential social and emotional skills, in an environment that encourages self-awareness, self-discipline and self-advocacy.
- A highly trained and caring faculty that empowers students to set personal and academic goals that will reflect their personal growth and their individual best.
The Vincent Smith School is a member of The New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS). The NYSAIS accreditation signifies that the Vincent Smith School meets the most rigorous standards of excellence in independent school education. It also enables the Vincent Smith School to participate in professional development opportunities for faculty and staff through the extensive roster of NYSAIS conferences and workshops.